What is HPR 180: Pre-Dental Hygiene Internship?
The course HPR 180: Pre-Dental Hygiene Internship provides students with the opportunity to supplement coursework with practical work experience related to their educational program. Students work under the immediate supervision of experienced personnel at their business location and with the direct guidance of the instructor. The course is a 1 credit hour internship requiring 45 hours of observation of a Dentist or Dental Hygienist.
What are the benefits of a Pre-Dental Hygiene Internship?
Students completing HPR 180 are awarded points on their Dental Hygiene Qualification & Ranking Sheet. A minimum of 8 office hours are required for admission into the Dental Hygiene Program, this internship satisfies this and is worth 10 points on the dental Hygiene Qualification and Ranking Sheet. It also gives the Dental Hygiene faculty at CNCC an additional chance to know more about you as they read your daily journal and final report.
When can I do an Internship?
Students may complete an Internship at anytime, and it is often easier to finish over summer. However, you can only register for the course for the Fall or Spring semester. If you do not know which semester you will finish in, you may register for the course after completion of the Internship. Internship completed in the Spring term must be completed before February 1st in order to be considered in the Competitive Entry process for the Dental Hygiene program.
Internship Forms and Procedure
- Read the Course Syllabus (PDF)
- Contact a Dental Office and request to observe a Dental Hygienist
- Complete the Memorandum of Understanding and submit it to the CNCC Pre-DH Advisor
- Observe a Dentist or Dental Hygienist at a Dental Office for 45 hours and keep a Daily Journal (PDF)
Finishing the Internship:
- Once you have completed 45 hours of observation you are almost done with the Internship.
- Have the dentist complete the Evaluation Form (PDF) and Verification Form and have them mail it to the Internship Director
- Write a final Summary Report as outlined in the Course Syllabus
- Send your Daily Journal and Summary Report to the Internship Director
- Register for the Course in the following semester
Registering at CNCC for the Internship:
- Apply to CNCC
- Register for HPR180 through the CNCC Student Portal, Crossroads. The Course Registration Number (CRN) may be found on the Course Schedules page under the Rangely Campus.
- You will be mailed, faxed, or emailed (your preference) the Verification of Pre-Dental Hygiene Internship Form, signed by the Internship Director, which should be attached to your Dental Hygiene Application.
Email: Jay McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Phone: (970) 675-3254