What is a Resident Assistant?
A Resident Assistant (RA) is a student staff member of Colorado Northwestern who oversees a floor in 1 of our 3 residence halls. RA’s are responsible for building a community within their assigned residents, and enhance the overall experience of the students living on campus. These student staff members are the initial contact in the residence halls to help address any student concern or issues.
Our goal is to have Resident Assistants make a happy, healthy, and a successful living space for our residence halls at CNCC.
Responsibilities of an RA
The Residents Assistants are responsible for a wide variety of tasks that are within five major categories. These tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Community Development
- Student Programming
- Provide quality, social, and educational programming for residents
- Information Source
- Assist students with personal, social, and academic problems
- Be familiar with all campus and community resources to assist residents with problems
- Know emergency protocols
- Administrative Tasks
- Attend weekly staff meetings and biweekly one on one meetings
- Assist with opening and closing activities.
- Participate in weekly and weekend building duty rotation
- Complete the following administrative tasks in a timely fashion: check in, check out, room inventory forms, maintenance requests, surveys, behavioral complaints, and other task assigned by the Residence Life Coordinator’s
Selection & Employment
The Resident Assistant Selection process for the following year begins in March. Interested candidates can pick up applications from the Residence Life office front desk in Weiss or download them here.
Candidates must fill out the application completely; include a resume, letter to your residents, and 3 reference forms (2 Faculty/Staff, and 1 RA). If the applicant is a student athlete, they must provide a signed letter from their coaching staff stating they support the candidate’s decision to be an RA, they understand the time commitment associated with being an RA, and their willingness to be flexible. (There was change from they to you, I made it consistent)
The individual and group interviews are conducted with the Professional Residence Life Staff. Candidates on the Rangely Campus can schedule their individual interview with Residence Life Administrative Assistant, Vanessa Huber, between 9 am and 2 pm, Monday thru Friday, upon completion of application. Candidates on the Craig Campus can turn their application into Barry Steadman, Student Life Coordinator.
Student Leadership Selection Outline
- Student Leadership Applications Open: Monday, March 5th
- Student Leadership Applications Close: Wednesday, April 4th
- Schedule your group interview with Vanessa at the Residence Life Office in Weiss between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. after you submit your completed application packet.
- Interviews will be held at the following times.
- Tuesday, April 10th 1-6 p.m.
- Wedenesday, April 11th 1-6 p.m.
- Thursday, April 12th 1-6 p.m.
- Group Interview: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
- Student Leadership Position Announcements: Resident Assistant, Student Ambassador/New Student Orientation Leader
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Residence Life office at email@example.com.